Future of this platform

Announcements of new firmware versions, new features and new applications
mchavez
Site Admin

Future of this platform

Post by mchavez »

A year ago, we started this platform with the idea of ​​helping users develop incredible watchfaces for TWATCH 2020. Our target audience was those who were looking for a cheap smartwatch and who wanted to program it without having to install all the Arduino environments and its related libraries since we know that it is complex for the uninitiated. We also thought about providing a space for developers who would like to implement new spheres based on a simple interface and compatible with some design tools for other brands (such as WatchFaceDesigner)

A year later we are rethinking the future of the platform, because it did not produce the expected results. There are only very few users and only one has created a sphere in all this time. Perhaps the audience for this watch are not ordinary users but rather people who want to program it themselves in their own environments.

We talked some time ago with the supplier of the watches in search of an alliance but it has not been possible since we understand that they have their own software.

We continue to think that TWATCH 2020 (and soon the round version 2021) is an excellent product. But perhaps there is no real interest in a platform like this and it is not worth the effort to have it active.

What do you think?
QuickFix

Re: Future of this platform

Post by QuickFix »

Hi mchavez,

My guess is that 90% (and maybe even more) of the buyers/owners of a TTGO watch (any version) is just a hobbyist, with already a working Arduino (or PlatformIO) environment trying to play with the possibilities of the ESP32 board in question.
And while it might look like any other smart watch, it's actually just a (albeit great) development board with an interesting form factor, just like other ESP development boards.

The TWatch Builder idea is good, but I only learned about it just a couple of months ago when it was mentioned on a YouTube channel I follow.
At first I was enthusiastic, having a platform to play around with, but after discovering it was closed source, with only the possibility to include own code in a plugin/framework-kind of way and not building from scratch I lost interest a bit.
Another (small) issue is that only V1 of the watch is supported (I have all versions) and there are other, similar, alternatives, like My-TTGO-Watch (though they lack the "App-store" feature).

I really appreciated the effort, but the closed source part made me lose interest in the project.

Just my 2 cents,

Peter
mchavez
Site Admin

Re: Future of this platform

Post by mchavez »

You're right, we missed the real target

We know that the community has very good open source solutions for this watch so we think there is no point in investing more efforts in our platform. It was entertaining and a good experience for us but maybe it was not the time for a solution like this.

Thanks for your comment