Can't connect to wifi

Some tips to resolve problems with the T-WATCH-2020
Jeonlab

Can't connect to wifi

Post by Jeonlab »

I downloaded the firmware today, so I believe it's the latest version. On the watch, I tried to connect to my home wifi dozens of times, but it flickered a couple times and rebooted without connecting to the wifi. Using the painfully tiny keyboard, I entered password and double checked so many times but no success. I even tried to tether my phone, but this gave me a password error. Passwords are correct. I checked my phone, laptops, router admin multiple times. Am I the only one having this problem? Please help.
Thanks.
mchavez
Site Admin

Re: Can't connect to wifi

Post by mchavez »

Hi,

Some suggestions:

- Be close to the WiFi spot. The watch's WiFi is not so good
- Does your password have some special characters (space or others) that our keyboard might not be mapping well?
- Is the firmware version 1.0.13? You can check it on "Information" settings
- Is there another WiFi you can try, maybe your cellphone mobile hotspot?
Jeonlab

Post by Jeonlab »

Thank you for your reply.
I'm sitting next to the router. There are upper and lower case letters and numbers in my password, no special characters.
The firmware version is 1.0.13 showing in the 'information' setting.
As I mentioned, I tried to tether my phone to provide wifi access with very simple password but this gave me an error 'password error'.
I have no clue what I can do any further.
Is there any other way to register my watch?

Thanks.

p.s. I tried the SimpleWatch example from the T-watch library and it works fine to connect to the same wifi.
mchavez
Site Admin

Post by mchavez »

I don't have more clues that could be happening. But if you have Arduino please try the following:
  • Install the "ESP32 Sketch Data Upload" extension for Arduino (https://github.com/me-no-dev/arduino-esp32fs-plugin)
  • Create a "data" folder inside your "SimpleWatch" project
  • Create a "wifi.json" file inside the data folder with the following information (json data array collection): [{"ssid":"YOUR-WIFI-SSID","pass":"YOUR-WIFI-PASS","selected":true}]
  • Upload the "data" content using the extension (no need to upload program)
If this work fine you will see a new WiFi entry on your watch's "WiFi" settings, and in the "Files" settings you will see the "wifi.json" file listed.
QuickFix

Post by QuickFix »

I had to make sure that:
  • The password was at least 8 characters long or I would get a "Password error"
  • After doing a WiFi scan reset the watch
  • Go back to "Settings" -> "WiFi" and press "Change"
    WiFi_1.jpg
    WiFi_1.jpg (43.22 KiB) Viewed 297 times
  • Select the AP I wanted to connect to by making sure it was "Checked"
    You can set it by holding its SSID and selecting the "Set" option
    WiFi_2.jpg
    WiFi_2.jpg (51.19 KiB) Viewed 297 times
mchavez
Site Admin

Post by mchavez »

In our code, we don't have any limitations on the password's length. We will investigate if there are any limitations in the arduino-esp32 SDK.

Thanks for the advice
mchavez
Site Admin

Post by mchavez »

It seems that is not a SDK limitation, instead it will depend on the security of your WiFi. If an ASCII password is used to protect WPA-PSK, the length must be between 8 and 63 characters.
Jeonlab

Post by Jeonlab »

Thank you both for your support. I will try and report back. By the way, my password is longer than 8 letters.
Thanks.
Jeonlab

Post by Jeonlab »

I made my phone hot spot and gave really simple passwords with 8 letter long and 9 letter long, but both gave me the same error. See attached picture. The reason why I set the simple password is because it was really difficult to tap the correct letter with even a capacitive stylus pen. I even used a magnifying glass to check I put the correct passwords. I also tried to reset the watch by pressing the button long and turn back on by press the button long just before entering the password but no success.
I will try what mchavez suggested, wifi.json method and report again.
Thanks.
Attachments
Screenshot_2021-07-07_14-01-43.png
Screenshot_2021-07-07_14-01-43.png (56.48 KiB) Viewed 293 times
Jeonlab

Post by Jeonlab »

Finally!
I figured it out.
The problem was not the password, distance to the router, or anything else, but the 'space' in the SSID. It happened to have 'spaces' in both SSID of my home network and my phone. I changed my phone's default name to a single word and it worked!
I'm uploading apps now.

Thank you for your support and I suggest to add a tip in the Getting Started page that the SSID and password should not have any space.

Thanks.