Can't connect to wifi

Some tips to resolve problems with the T-WATCH-2020
mchavez
Site Admin

Re: Can't connect to wifi

Post by mchavez »

Good advice :D. We don't have any trim on our code related to ssid or password, we process the ssid obtained from the scanning process without modification. We will investigate further to find out what may be happening.

For the moment we will add this warning on the "Get Started" page.

Thanks to you for your perseverance in finding the problem
QuickFix

Post by QuickFix »

From the top of my head, I had the same problem using an "SSID with space" on the ESP8266, since then I'm always making sure my SSID's don't contain spaces.

@mchavez: I indeed am using WPA-PSK, so the min 8 characters-thing makes sense.
mchavez
Site Admin

Post by mchavez »

We have finished multiple tests on WiFi connections with or without spaces in the SSID, and it works fine.

The only problem detected was the timeout time for the connection. We had a timeout time of 10 seconds and in some cases it was not enough, producing the "Password error" message. We increased the timeout time from 10 to 30 seconds to avoid problems.

We believe that this was the underlying problem that perhaps coincided with the issue of spaces in the SSID.

We have already updated the version with this new setting.
Jeonlab

Post by Jeonlab »

I downloaded the uploader from the Get Started page again and found the firmware version is still the same. Maybe that version info was not updated. Anyway, I flashed with the newly downloaded firmware and tried the hot spot using my phone with a space in the SSID and confirmed it worked.
Thank you for updating the timeout issue.

I also tried my home network but t behaved the same as before. It doesn't show the error and just reset by itself after a few seconds after i entered my password. My home network SSID has not only 'space' but also has a letter '_'. Would this cause this?
mchavez
Site Admin

Post by mchavez »

That's right, there is no version change because the adjustment is simple. When we have several new changes and improvements we will generate a new version.

We tested again the connection to a SSID with a combination of "spaces" and "_" and everything works fine.

Note that our SSID buffer has a maximum of 20 characters, the same for the password. Is your SSID within these ranges? If so, can you share your SSID name for a more specific testing?
Jeonlab

Post by Jeonlab »

Well, the SSID is 18 letter long and combination of upper and lower cases of alphabet and numbers. The special characters are space, underscore and one period '.' Oh, I didn't mention about the period in previous post. My bad. Maybe the period caused the issue?

Thanks.
mchavez
Site Admin

Post by mchavez »

We tried the SSID "AbCd_X Bb..1234567" (18 characters length) with letters, numbers, spaces, underscores and periods, and all works fine.
Jeonlab

Post by Jeonlab »

My password is 20 letters long, upper and lower case alphabet and numbers, no special characters. Would the length be a problem? I don't want to bother you with this too much but I'm just curious why it doesn't work.
Thanks.
mchavez
Site Admin

Post by mchavez »

The length of the buffer for SSID and password is 20, including the NULL ending character, so there are 19 characters left for the text. If you have a password with 20 characters the code is leaking the buffer and throwing an exception. We never had such a long password in mind, sorry.

We increased the length of the SSID and password from 20 to 30. Please reinstall the firmware and try again.
Jeonlab

Post by Jeonlab »

Yes, it works now. Thank you so much for updating the firmware for longer SSID and password and I'm sorry that I had an exceptionally long password and SSID with spacial characters. Everything works fine now. Thanks again!! :D