How to “get started” if I have a Raspberry pi 400?

Some tips to resolve problems with the T-WATCH-2020
Enki

How to “get started” if I have a Raspberry pi 400?

Post by Enki »

Hello,

I wonder if it’s possible to get thru the
“Get started” introduction post if I don’t own a windows machine? As the post states “only for windows “
(I only have a Raspberry pi 400)
I hope there is a solution besides getting a PC w windows...

Thank you very much in advance for any help!
Enki

Re: How to “get started” if I have a Raspberry pi 400?

Post by Enki »

Forgot to mention, I ment on the “Store” page of the site..
QuickFix

Post by QuickFix »

The only real "Windows" thing used by the uploader and downloader (inside the ZIP) is the generic esptool.exe utility.
This tool only manages to upload/download of binary images to an ESP, so if you're able to "Transpose" the used Windows command-line to something the Raspberry Pi version of esptool.py understands, I see no problems. :idea:
Enki

Post by Enki »

QuickFix wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:14 pm The only real "Windows" thing used by the uploader and downloader (inside the ZIP) is the generic esptool.exe utility.
This tool only manages to upload/download of binary images to an ESP, so if you're able to "Transpose" the used Windows command-line to something the Raspberry Pi version of esptool.py understands, I see no problems. :idea:
Thank you for the reply, but I must admit, I have no idea how I could do such a thing myself unfortunately.
My knowledge on this kind of matter is very poor..
Could you (or anyone else) please give me a step by step instruction?
It will help others who have very limited knowledge on the subject as well.
It would mean the world to me (and them I guess)

Thank you very much in advance, I really appreciate any and all help !
CrimsonWraith

Post by CrimsonWraith »

I actually just set this up last week and have been meaning to post it.
This will work for any Linux distro.

Most of the commands are very similar to those listed in the instructions for Windows users.
First, download the setup zip file.
Then, you will need to download esptool. You can get it https://github.com/espressif/esptool
Finally, run these commands to get your watch's firmware and install

Code: Select all

curl "https://twatchbuilder.com/download.php?device=<YOUR WATCH>&file=MyWatch.ino.partitions.bin" --output MyWatch.ino.partitions.bin
curl "https://twatchbuilder.com/download.php?device=<YOUR WATCH>&file=MyWatch.ino.bin" --output MyWatch.ino.bin
<YOUR ESPTOOL DIR>/esptool-master/esptool.py --chip esp32 --port /dev/ttyUSB0 --baud 2000000 --before default_reset --after hard_reset write_flash -z --flash_mode dio --flash_freq 80m --flash_size detect 0xe000 boot_app0.bin 0x1000 bootloader_dio_80m.bin 0x10000 MyWatch.ino.bin 0x8000 MyWatch.ino.partitions.bin 
Replace <YOUR WATCH> with the code for your watch in setup on the builder site.
Replace <YOUR ESPTOOL DIR> with wherever you put the esptool-master folder.

I saved those three commands in a file called "update.sh", used "chmod +x update.sh" to make it runnable, and now I can just type in "./update.sh" from my TWatch folder and it will download my latest build and install it on my watch.

The only thing to watch for is if you have multiple usb data devices connected, your watch may not be connected to /dev/ttyUSB0. The easiest way to check is type "ls /dev/ttyUSB*" then plug in your watch and run it again. The new entry is your watch.

I ran all of this on my Pi running Raspbian.
Last edited by CrimsonWraith on Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enki

Post by Enki »

CrimsonWraith wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:49 pm I actually just set this up last week and have been meaning to post it.

I ran all of this on my Pi running Raspbian.
You Sir, are AMAZING!!!!!!!

I must admit I struggled a couple of hours, made about every mistake I could make underway lol, but it is working!!

Downloading some awesome apps from the store as I type this.

Again, thank you very VERY much!!!
QuickFix

Post by QuickFix »

CrimsonWraith wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:49 pm I actually just set this up last week and have been meaning to post it.
Thanks for stepping in, my knowledge of the Pi minimal (at best).
Enki wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:56 pmI must admit I struggled a couple of hours, made about every mistake I could make underway lol, but it is working!!
Well you got it working AND learned a lot by trying yourself, truly a win-win situation. ;)

Have fun! 8-)